Casey Stoner conquered Czech Republic Grand prix; Brno Circuit, taking his sixth win of the season, ahead of Andrea Dovizioso and Marco Simoncelli; who took his first podium in MotoGP onboard Gresini Honda. Dani Pedrosa’s race ended prematurely as he crashed out while in the lead. Jorge Lorenzo suffered tyre issues in the later stages of the race, and ended up finishing fourth. Stoner extended his championship lead to 32 points with seven rounds to go.
MotoGP race for round 11 of the 2011 MotoGP World Championship went underway today at 2pm (Local time). Poleman Dani Pedrosa took the hole-shot as expected, however, Jorge Lorenzo, who used a softer front tyre option, was leading the race after a couple of corners in the first lap. Casey Stoner stuck behind Lorenzo for a couple of laps before making his move.
From his best grid position, Valentino Rossi could not make a good start and lost couple of places early on. I had thought he would have challenged for the top four, but he was never close to the pack ahead. Couple of laps into the race, Dani crashed out and Stoner then managed the gap behind him to perfection, finishing the race around 7 seconds ahead of fellow Repsol Honda rider; Dovizioso.
Ducati riders; Rossi and Hayden secured sixth and seventh positions respectively. Spies finished behind Lorenzo; however, I strongly believe that he could have overtaken him if he wanted as he had the pace to do so. With Casey leading the race with a huge margin of 8 seconds over the chasing pack, it would have been a disaster for the championship if Jorge had finished any lower than fourth. I bet there were team orders for Spies, as Rossi was gaining on Spies or at least matching his lap times, and both Spies and he were quicker than Lorenzo. If Spies had overtaken him, Rossi could have been in the hunt for the fourth place as well.
I feel sorry for Dani as he had the pace to win it today, and it could have been worst for Jorge’s championship, had he not crashed. I am a bit disappointed with Rossi’s race, but there is a one-day Brno test tomorrow and Rossi could find something he is looking for the last part of the season.
Checkout the Brno QP session results to find out the starting grid positions. If you liked this article, you might also like one of my other articles on MotoGP; Give Rossi a break.
Complied Brno MotoGP race results are listed below:
1. 25 Casey STONER AUS Repsol Honda Team Honda 164.8 43’16.796
2. 20 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 164.4 +6.532
3. 16 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 164.3 +7.792
4. 13 Jorge LORENZO SPA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 164.2 +8.513
5. 11 Ben SPIES USA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 164.1 +10.186
6. 10 Valentino ROSSI ITA Ducati Team Ducati 164.0 +12.632
7. 9 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 163.3 +23.037
8. 8 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 163.3 +24.189
9. 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 163.2 +25.202
10. 6 Hector BARBERA SPA Mapfre Aspar Team MotoGP Ducati 162.5 +36.566
11. 5 Toni ELIAS SPA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 162.5 +36.679
12. 4 Randy DE PUNIET FRA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 162.5 +37.109
13. 3 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 161.7 +48.911
19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 159.3 6 Laps
17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Cardion AB Motoracing Ducati 148.8 10 Laps
35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 161.8 16 Laps
26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 161.0 20 Laps
These statistics were obtained from MCN.com